Subject: [Leica] Image criteria - a Luddite view NOW- "THE VIEW!"
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 14:06:22 -0800

Hi George & folks,,
When I first began using Leicas' it was my understanding from photo
magazines and a couple of  the "idols whom I admired, used Leica!" Therefore
if I use a Leica I will shoot in similar fashion ... ERGO! ... foolishly as
most amateurs, "MY PICTURES WILL BE  EXTRA SPECIAL!" Because everything with
a Leica will make me look perfect! :-)

Little did I realize at the time what counts most regardless of camera
quality... "IT'S THE HUMAN HOLDING THE CAMERA!"

There was never any of the technical diatribe we see these days. All that
mattered was you had the best in focus, sharpest, best content photo of the
moment possible to capture!" WHY? Well there wasn't any thought other than
what you shot was the best because you were using a Leica!! Because you were
told and knew no different!
All the technical aspects we go through day after day here on the  LUG in
what lens does what, or what lens is the squeekest clean sharpest" never
existed in conversation, nor sure as hell through online communication.

I  never ever thought, nor questioned anything about what lens to purchase!
It was automatically Leica, get it out of the box, get it exposing film as
quick as it could be ! To help me expose better pictures! Technical stuff in
the box? hell it and the box went into the garbage and I started shooting
the kind of things my eye saw! I had assignments to do!

"TEST THE LENS BEFORE YOU USE IT?" Idiot! It's a Leica! It's perfect, move
yer butt the plane leaves in an hour for Paris and you better not miss it!"
TEST? Hell shoot the assignment and look at the stuff when yer back! And
that's what real gut wrenchng testing a Leica is all about! You jut trust it
to be perfect and the best! Oh yes I know these days every dick and jack
make new glass that's excellent. But then life isn't as perfect as it was 50
years ago!

There  really wasn't and still isn't any kind of rule of thumb;  first,
second or third system to follow other than the LIGHT!  And regardles of
what anyone says... "LIGHT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ELEMENT IN MAKING PICTURES
MAGICAL!" Oh I don't doubt for one mili-second there will be a bunch of
retorts! But do you know what? I don't give a flying hoop what anyone says
because I have 60 years plus of professional assigned & published
photography behind me to back it up!

It's just one of those "mean assed days folks I need not be tampered with!"
At least I've given notice ladies and gentlemen.  Take care! Thank you for
understanding! :-(
cheers,
today?it really is
"old doc ted!" :-(