Subject: [Leica] IMG: My Ross Lens Project
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 21:54:34 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011  "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols at lighttube.net>wrote:

>Beauiful portrait.  Facial details appear quite sharp, but the highlights
>in
>the eyes seem to be blurred.  Is this because of the lighting setup that
>you
>used?
It's the lens.

The Verito, the Thambar, the Struss Pictorial, the Aldis Lens, the Speed
Panchro*, and others are all diffused focus portrait lenses that use under
corrected spherical aberration  to produce a sharp image overlaid with a
soft glow.  If you could see my print, you'd be able to see that all the
strands of hair show this feature.  On my Verito, stopping down decreases
the diffusion; f/4 gives (for me) too much, f/16 - on is too sharp, but f/11
is just the right blend of sharp/soft.  With my invented "VElmar" - the 1931
13.5 cm f/4.5 Elmar that I modified to be like a Thambar, the best stop is
around f/5.6 or f/6.3.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Portraits/Glamour05_Velmar_AMR.jpg.html>

*Check out old Hollywood films from the 1930's - many are shot with this
lens at about f/2 or f/2.3.  Specular out of focus highlights have a white
dot surrounded by a slightly less intense circle of light.  I love this
look.  I got this information from one of my favorite books, "Film Style and
Technology" by Barry Salt.  He discusses cameras, lenses, lighting, etc.
decade by decade.

Probably more than you wanted to read.  ;~)

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
amr3 at uwm.edu