Subject: [Leica] What are the most important aspects of a photographic image?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 01:33:15 -0500

In all those things which come out January 1 "the best pictures of the year,
2010 " I'm just not remembering seeing any black and white at all. Just lush
color. I don't mind it.
Wait I'm looking....
None that I can find in the National Geographic site.
Best photo's from Time: all color.
2010: The Year in Pictures New York Times: I'm not seeing any black and
white. Not one.
I think the great days of black and white are over. I don't see anybody
missing it.
They don't make Sandisk Extreme CompactFlash Memory Card's in black and
white any more. Once in a blue moon to I go black and white with a shot.
Does this mean my current work will have less lasting value? I doubt it.
I think to work in black and white in this digital age is a little odd. A
little precious. I'm excited about bringing my pix back here and going
through them and rating them and tweaking them and adding keywords to them
converting them to black and white is a an imposition. Seldom worth it. Its
like throwing away information. Is that going to make it art?
I did post a black and white shot on the lug gallery last week. My first in
many months to a year. The first snow shot. The colors were ugly no matter
what I did to them.
The above was typed with a full color Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad.
The words just FLY ONTO the page.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com