Subject: [Leica] was - important aspects, now B&W image?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 23:17:44 -0800

Yes. 40 years, and I'm being quite generous because even 40 years ago
there was still a decent price premium on colour, especially in
publishing.

Our aesthetic has been formed by the fact that for a long time the
main photographic medium was the black and white photograph, and
colour was not readily available.

Do we say that the Mona Lisa should have been in B&W, or any other
outstanding painting? Painting developed a colour palette a long time
ago, and this topic doesn't come up in this way any more, if it ever
did.

As I said before, if colour photography had been invented before or
at the same time as B&W photography, this whole discussion of B&W vs.
colour would never exist.

All that said, I too have a fondness for B&W photos, and the majority
of the prints I have are B&W. I too grew up with B&W as the main
formative photographic aesthetic, and the great photos I saw early on
were almost all B&W.