Subject: [Leica] What are the most important aspects of a photographic image?
From: rcmphoto at yahoo.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:31:59 -0800 (PST)

--- On Tue, 1/4/11, Steve Barbour <steve.barbour at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think this is true George....clearly color should
> be used, "if it's about color" but "if the image depends on
> color (only) to make its impact, then it's largely lost"...
>

> is this not basically correct?  If it's not correct,
> why?

Because aside from a personal aesthetic choice by the photographer, there's
no longer any reason why the default for an image SHOULD be B&W.

The majority of the population DOES see color, and in terms of publication
the B&W image was most likely initially captured as a color version.  So
there's absolutely no reason to consider the use of color as anything except
another tool in the photographic box.

Every week we see dozen of photographs come through the saloon... ordinary
photographs of ordinary people doing ordinary things, elevated to the status
of extraordinary because the person behind the camera was able to use the
light, or the contrast, or the composition of the photo, or the HDR
capability of digital imaging, to make those shots into something more.
Probably 95% of those shots, if we took away the tool upon which they depend
for their impact, would not be worth a first look, never mind a second.

Why is it any LESS legitimate to allow the use of color as simply another of
those tools for creating effective photos?

R. Clayton McKee
PhotoJournalist
from somewhere just south of somewhere else...

Replies: Reply from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] What are the most important aspects of a photographic image?)
Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] What are the most important aspects of a photographic image?)