Subject: [Leica] FYI: RAW processor for iPad
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 22:24:47 -0600

Apple sells what they call the "Camera Connection Kit."
Which essentially gives you either a USB connection and/or an SD card slot.
You can hook up the camera directly; or read the card.
No personal experience, yet, re: hooking up other card readers for CF, etc.
Though the pad has recognized the 5D, M8, and DMR via the kit cord.

I find the screen very comfortable on my eyes.
Simple, wide range, brightness adjustment.
Very sharp typography.

The ZooGue Smart Kase makes it extremely easy to use in horizontal and
allows for infinite angles for reading, reflection control, typing comfort,
drawing and other tasks. It also makes it very comfortable to hold in any
number of ways, while offering decent protection and access to ports.

In terms of what it WILL do today. I don't think any other comes close.
Though YMMV.

I've spent time with the Kindle. It's very nice for reading black and white.
But in this multi-media world the iPad leaves it in the dust, unless all you
want is a text reader. I have the Kindle, iBook, Stanza apps for books as
well as dozen magazines and news papers, BBC, NPR, and on and on. Many of
those apps link to video, audio, allow making playlists for later listening,
etc.

Then add the productivity apps, photo viewing, presentation, and minimal
processing, drawing and painting, music library, etc. It's an impressive toy.

I have no doubt others will catch up. But they've a ways to go.

Oh - and if you have any kids - it'll keep them occupied for pretty much
ever, whether 3 or 13 years old. Over the holiday a 5, 8 and 11 year old
were totally absorbed for 5 hours.

;~)

Regards,
George