Subject: [Leica] Kosher Salt
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:54:37 -0500

What! No Jews on the LUG. Here is the definition of kosher salt from Yahoo.
Any cook or Rabbi could have told as much.

Kosher salt usually has no additives, and it has big
crystals<http://www.mos.org/sln/sem/ksalt.html> with
large surface areas. This size and shape allows it to absorb more moisture
than other forms of salt, and this makes kosher salt excellent for curing
meats. That is essentially where the name comes from. The salt itself is
not kosher <http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm>, meaning it doesn't conform
to Jewish food laws, but this salt is used to make meat kosher. The Jewish
holy book, the Torah, prohibits consumption of any blood, which is why
kosher meat must be slaughtered and prepared in a specific manner. A common
way of removing the final traces of blood from meat is to soak and
salt<http://waltonfeed.com/grain/faqs/iif4.html>
 it.

That's not the only use for kosher salt, however. The flavor is distinct
from ordinary table salt, and some
cooks<http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/food/1853890/detail.html> prefer
to use it in all their cooking. Like other coarse salts, kosher salt can be
used in recipes that call for a salt
crust<http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=tvs2681>.
You can even use it to salt the edge of a
margarita<http://www.supermarketguru.com/page.cfm/173>
 glass.

Larry Z

P.S. I wonder if it will work to free my stuck car from a snowbank.

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Kosher Salt)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Kosher Salt)