Subject: [Leica] Planning a trip (with Leicas)
From: csemetko at gmail.com (Craig Semetko)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 23:18:11 -0800

Hey Phil,

Richard's right--a smile goes a long way. I was in Vietnam and
Cambodia last March and into April. My main problem was I ran out of
passport pages when I arrived in Phnom Penh. The customs man kept
saying "we have a problem..."; I thought he wanted a bribe. Turns out
he finally put in an addendum, and since it was Thursday and the
embassy didn't do passport pages on Fridays, I was stuck in PP a
little longer than I expected. But it turned out fine and as a result
of my unexpected extra stay I got a picture that ended up in Unposed.
So all's well that ends well.

The Cambodian people were VERY nice to me. But be prepared to see some
real poverty--in fact I ran into people that had maimed their children
for sympathy handouts. One of the most disturbing things I've ever
seen. It's not advised to give money to kids--they are usually being
run by adults who are probably not using the money to help the kid.

When in Vietnam--ALWAYS LOOK BOTH WAYS TWICE BEFORE CROSSING THE
STREET! I was run down by a motorcycle in Hanoi. Very unpleasant.
Fortunately nothing was broken, but I had to see a doctor when I got
home. The scooters and motorcycles are omnipresent and there is very
little in the way of rules. So use caution when crossing.

Also, you will get different reactions from different people in
Vietnam--most people were great, but more than a couple were not. I
was lost at one point and approached a guy in a park with a map in my
hand. No one was within 50 yards of us. I began to talk to him and he
stared straight ahead--he would not even acknowledge my existence.
Seeing an American brings back a lot of bad memories for some of the
older people there. If you get that vibe, just smile and move on.

I was never told to stop shooting anything, and never had the feeling
I would be in trouble for shooting anything. Seriously, common sense,
a little street smarts, and a smile are your best friends.

For what it's worth, I took and M9 and an MP, a 90 elmarit and a 50
and 35 summilux. I hardly ever used the 90. In total, 5 shots from
those 8 days ended up in Unposed--3 from the M9 processed in silver
efex pro and 2 from the MP and Tri-X.

Have a great time and safe travels!

Craig