Subject: [Leica] When did Kodachrome really die?
From: mfsacca at sover.net (Michael Sacca)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:59:07 -0500

Sonny,
I had a practically continuous roll primarily in my M4, but also other
cameras since the late '70's. I probably shot 40-60 rolls a year right
up until December, mostly 64 but a fair amount of 25 until it was
discontinued and also some 200 for longer lens work. Since the early
90's I used PKR almost exclusively and found it to be stable without
strong casts. I remember in the lean years buying foreign stuff that
always seemed to be really green. Then the Qualex period made me
nearly give it up. In fact I did stop shooting it for about 6 months
or more. I wrote and called them to complain about all kinds of
problems and they seemed not to care about quality control.

I'm really beginning to appreciate working with RAW files. I mean
hell, it's like having a nearly ultimate positive or negative to work
from. What is different, very different now is the loss of a reference
when I'm composing or pre-visualizing a potential exposure. Now since
a file can be so malleable, well it can look like anything in the end.
To some extant, the interpretation comes sitting in front of a screen
rather than in the field with the camera in my hands.

I'm moving on, of course, but it was a great ride.

Michael

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] When did Kodachrome really die?)