Subject: [Leica] Waterproof M8 - not
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 10:12:05 -0500

Gene writes:

In spite of Nathans problems with moisture, my M8 has had no problems in

rain, and even a trip on the Maid of the Mists at Niagra Falls with out even

a hiccup.

- - - -

It's all in the nature of the water. Sweat and sea water contain salt which
remains in the innards of the camera even after the liquid evaporates. Salt
facilitates corrosion and absorbs additional water. Wet salty surfaces
conduct electricity. Not a good thing for electric cameras. Even the
mechanical Leicas don't like salt water environments. Sherry did a CLR for
me after I had used my M3s near salt water for several years. Her comment
after doing the job was "Stop pissing on your cameras." At least for
mechanical cameras, if dried immediately, cameras immersed in fresh water
usually suffer little damage. If the water is salty, most repair persons
advise flushing the camera in fresh water to remove the salt residue before
any repair attempts are made. I've also been told by repair persons that if
you immerse a digital camera in salt water, your best bet is to call the
insurance company. Repair costs usually outweigh the value of the camera.

By the way, I use a Nikonos if there is a good chance that my camera will
get wet by salt water.

Larry Z