Subject: [Leica] A short walk from my house/Exposures
From: rcmphoto at yahoo.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 09:14:16 -0800 (PST)

Not always.  I only use high-speed to play with people and make them relax,
but (especially at lectures and podium shots) I just about always shoot
double-taps.... and just about invariably the second shot is the keeper of
the pair.

Most people relax slightly after they hear the click, and if the second shot
is right there it catches that.  Makes for a much better photograph with a
natural expression, usually an unforced smile.

There's also the insurance aspect... if the keeper goes corrupt the also-ran
is usually good enough.

Did it with film, too.  Hell, I learned it on a 4x5...  shoot one side, then
change the exposure half a stop and shoot the other side.  In a good case
you'll have a decent backup; worst case you've probably got something you
can use.

Except the time I forgot to tell the lab tech to run the two boxes on
separate runs... and he ran all 16 fujichromes through the same C41 process.

Lost that gig.  Life goes on.

R. Clayton McKee
PhotoJournalist
from somewhere just south of somewhere else...

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] A short walk from my house/Exposures)