Subject: [Leica] IMG: Basketball game
From: ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:29:03 -0500

Thanks, Ted.

This trip was completely recreational. I agree with your advice. It has
worked pretty well in 2 or 3 thousand basketball games (mostly high school
but a couple hundred college) I've shot in my life. UNC's floor space is a
hard ticket and patrolled heavily, and I was there for fun, not a fight;^)

My most frightening contact was looking up to see UNC's Geff Crompton (an
overweight 6-11 center of over 300 pounds from Burlington,NC) losing his
balance as I sat cross-legged at the end line. He landed full atop me
without catching himself. I folded up under him and still do not know why I
was not hurt.  That was in about 1974 when I was a skinny pup. I fear it
would kill the fat Ric of today;^)

I wish I had owned a Leica in those days, I feel they would be excellent for
basketball. I mostly used a 50 (on a Fujica ST and later OM-1 or OM-3) in
the high school cave-dark gyms at small high schools. I even resorted to an
old Honeywell potato masher flash from time to time, but preferred available
light. I tried to go longer lens in well-lit college gyms. I could stand to
shoot at high school (and preferred it), but most colleges required sitting.

"Dominate the lane" would yield 80% of the successful shots especially for
guys like me without the high-dollar telephotos.

Thanks for looking

ric