Subject: [Leica] PAW08
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:28:01 -0600

Quoth the Peter Cheyne :

> Whoah!  That's a great one, Clayton!
>
> I trust you used a decently long tele...

Oh HELL yes.

300 with 1.4x converter, about, oh, 50 feet away I guess.  And he's a
big guy in a wildlife refuge; I didn't need to get too close and he's
pretty much used to maniacs with cameras.  When they're not hunting
or disturbed, gators are fairly placid when it comes to humans.

It looks a lot scarier than it was.  There was about a 20-foot wide
draw between us full of pretty cold water, and I was about 75%
screened behind a big tuft of buffalo grass.  He knew I was there,
but I wasn't a threat.   And the weather worked for me, too.... It
was about 50 degrees and he was lying in the only patch of warm sun
for a hundred yards in any direction.  As long as I didn't do
something to kick his defensive reflexes loose, he couldn't have
cared less what I did.

Made for a fun shot, though.
--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee at rcmckee.com
P O Box 571900                           voice/fax   713/783-3502
Houston, TX 77257-1900                   cell phone #  on request