Subject: [Leica] Compare: Imacon vs Epson Scanner
From: piers.hemy at gmail.com (piers@hemy.org)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 16:00:28 +0000

Despite what others have said about resolution, Lluis, I agree with you
completely. To my eyes, there is a very much better range of tones in the
Imacon image than the Epson. I suspect that the detail you showed us did not
do full justice to the Imacon scan, but the difference is easily seen even
in the thumbnails side-by-side - and it has nothing to do with resolution.

Your results are precisely the same as mine - I scanned a 6x9 image on an
Epson 4990, and had the same scanned on an Imacon Precision II. The
resolution of the Imacon was slightly better (5760 dpi vs 4800), but more
obvious was the increased shadow detail. That is confirmed by each
manufacturer's  claimed DMax for each scanner: Epson 3170 3.4, Epson 4990
4.0, Imacon P II 4.1, Imacon 848 4.8. And the scanning speed of the Imacon
was vastly better than the Epson!

Naturally, others may feel that the lack of ICE and/or batch scanning is a
significant disadvantage of the Imacon - but as with cropped sensors, to my
mind it is a balancing act.

Thanks for your posting!

Piers