Subject: [Leica] Apology (sort of) NOW BATTERY USE? Flash
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 08:55:15 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols at lighttube.net> wrote:

>Hi Herb,

>You aren't the only sinner in the crowd.  ...
> Focal plane shutters were never meant to be used with flashbulbs!

>Jim Nichols
If Leicas were not to be used with flash, they wouldn't have synch
terminals.  ;~)

I shot a lot with my M3 and strobes:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Work/Dancer_AMR.jpg.html>
I used to carry three Vivitar 102's for multiflash (to avoid the dreaded
flash on camera).  It's nice being able to see them go off through the
viewfinder.

And I've used focal plane bulbs.  This is at 1/125 sec. f/16 with 32 ISO
film! Kalart Speed Gun + one wired extension flash:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Story+Photos/FrameRoom1975_AMR.jpg.html>

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee