Subject: [Leica] cap for collapsible summicron 50/2
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 00:16:51 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 Tina Manley <images at comporium.net>wrote:

>Welcome, Juno.  I've never used caps on my Leica lenses.  A lens hood would
>be nice.  The glass is not soft, but really, really durable.  Leica
>demonstrates how hard the glass is by taking a piece of rough sandpaper and
>scrubbing the front of the lens.  It doesn't leave a mark.  If you have a
>cap on the lens, it's not ready to use.

>Tina
I use caps all the time, even with the 50mm lens hood.  The the plastic cap
that fits on the back can be made snug to cover the hood opening with a
little black tape.  I drill a hole to secure a cord that goes to the strap
ring.  It just takes a fraction of a second to flick it out of the way when
I see a picture.  Keeping the lens covered makes for less frequent cleaning,
and I've found, cuts down on stray light working it's way around the shutter
to fog the film.  I thought I read that collapsible Summicrons had soft
front elements.  Both of mine (M & LTM) do have fine scratches from previous
owners.

Leica cap and cord on 28mm Nikkor:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear/M3_28mm_Nikkor_AMR.jpg.html>

Alan