Subject: [Leica] Magnum + Leica: Interesting?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 20:48:43 -0800

Hi Crew,
You know I look at this Leica garbage promotion and near throw-up! Sure most
of the Magnum guys use Leica, but Leica didn't mention that those Leica
using guys happened to use a Canadian made rapid winder produced by Tom
Abrahamsson in Vancouver! WHY?

Well the Leica, so called "rapid winder" was a piece of junk! Tom made one
that worked like a dream, with hardly any moving parts and he accepted phone
calls from around the world in the event of a malfunction..... rarely of his
RapidWinder. If it were? "he would talk the photographer through adjustments
at no charge" and get he or she back on the road of shooting their
assignment!

It's like, so big deal the Magnum photographers worked their Leica's harder
than some members of this group? Crap!

I'll give, maybe they got shot at a few times more than we did! However, I
did my time with Leicas under fire and my cameras worked just fine. My
nerves maybe a little unraveled! ;-) However, I don't see LEICA rushing to
me after 61 years as an honourable photojournalist! Recording life of this
world with my cameras and giving me a couple of M9's to continue, for at
least another 12-15 years and use my opinion about the quality! ;-)

But that had diddly squat to do with the working of the camera, nor our
pictures! "Does the so called "exotic environment" of a Magnum photographer
create more wear and tear on a Leica? Than months of covering the wheat
harvest of the prairies, 12 hours a day, after day? Or several months in
logging camps and harvesting trees from the west coast forests through
cutting, milling and loading onto overseas ships?

Or Lobster fishing off the East coast of North America? This list could go
on for a few more pages, famines and world devastation! And using Leica's
all the way! Oh yeah I forgot I'm not a Magnum photographer? :-) Ahh gee
whiz, sorry about that! So that means Leica doesn't recognize a
photojournalist world travelling Leica user with at least 55 years day in
and day out using their machines for recording? But if I worked for MAGNUM?
Holy cow they'd drape me with a dozen M9 cameras!

Oh yeah including 16 years as the headliner speaker lecturing at the
International Leica Seminar, Cape Cod! Know what? Not one Leica using Magnum
photographer can say that! :-) Leica? "What's yer name?" ;-)

Oh yeah and sending me an M9?.... "What was yer name again?" ;-)

Heck I don't really care at this time in my life, as I've given them far
more than they ever gave me or many other members of this list! I just want
to rattle their cage a little! Not that that will do any good, as they're
still back in the '40's and 50's in a world long gone. As are most of those
great photojournalists we all admired their ability with a wonderful camera
and the ability to see life moments!

We, my friends, we are "USERS!" That's all that matters to each of us.
Adapters or not! :-) Quite frankly I expect many of us will be around a lot
more years to come than Leica!

No this doesn't mean I don't use Leica camera's, I DO! Have a nice weekend!
:-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Gosh I hate cheap advertising, some day maybe Leica will get over it! :-)

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Magnum + Leica: Interesting?)
Reply from robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert Baron) ([Leica] Magnum + Leica: Interesting?)