Subject: [Leica] new photos in the gallery
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 21:04:06 -0800

Ric Carter ASKED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] new photos in the gallery

> Proud of you Uncle T! Nice, warm shot.
>
> How the hell did you get up afterward?

Hi Ric,
Actually it was a bit of a chore, partially because as the writer and myself
were walking on the ice and snow and me with camera bag on my left shoulder
I miss stepped some ice and did a major crash and burn to the ground! OUCH!

The poor writer near had a fit asking should she call for an ambulance or
other help? What the hell when yer all numb it doesn't matter, you don't
feel anything!! Later it's another story! :-(  I said no, just give me a
minute or two and I'll get squared away. My good fortune to some degree was,
I partially landed on the camera equipment bag carried on my left shoulder.
Big worry always as photographers  .... first thought always? "Are the
cameras OK and still working?" :-) Body parts? Hell they'll heal. but you've
got to pay for new equipment! :-) No problem they clicked away just fine!

No problems, just some achie parts in the left knee and thigh! Although I
did walk slightly slower for the next hundred yards to Mike's home. Just
carried on shooting things. But the guide dog caught my eye!

Now comes the time and I'm thinking, "Hey neat looking dog just lying there
and chewing on that bone !" :-)

Now I've said a million times over the years, "bend your knees and get down
to the child's eye level for a perspective of how they see the world." Or as
in this case? The dog on it's belly!

You did notice the dog is on it's belly? So I did more than bend my knees. I
got right down flat on my belly sort of face to face! Now this is about a
half hour after the slip on ice and fall to ground!! Damn! How the hell am I
going to get up from here?
Right now the heck with it, get on with the picture taking and I did! I shot
a few nice photos as you see a couple here.

Now what we really required was an astute LUG photographer shooting me as I
went through the routine of becoming vertical to feet! :-) It went something
like this:

1/ Put camera down and rolled over onto back!
2/ Did a sit-up and contemplated next move.  Blind Mike offered assistance,
but he's 91! Now he obviously couldn't       see me but knew where I was and
could hear the writer and myself conversing about getting up! This wont
work!
3/ Lay back down, roll over to belly down position! Again. :-)
4/ Kinda get legs up, onto knees, grab a chair and pulled myself up and
standing. :-) Writer cheering in joking              fashion!

There that wasn't so bad I thought? But then the dog moved to better light
and lay down again, I mean it was beautiful light! And damned if I didn't
get back down a second time! Photographers are idiots when it comes to
shooting the one infinite moment when the light is right! :-) Getting up?
The same sort of routine! ;-)

But hey! What can I say, I'm only a few months short of being 82 years,
still a young lad of heart and mind! And if you can't get down and get back
up, you should be just sitting there doing nothing but watching clouds form
and the grass grow! Obviously with a fine bottle of single malt scotch to
while away the day! :-)

Trust me as hard as it is some days even though I've had a few bad moments
of late!  As some of you may recall! :-(  That isn't ever going to happen to
me, as I fully intend on going right in the middle of an assignment on the
day of my 100th birthday day! Hell man you have to have goal or you'll go
way too young! :-) 82 and the right attitude I fully intend on making the
hundred mark.

Oh yeah I forgot to tell you I'm in the middle of a new physical training
routine to do 82 sit-ups and 82 squats and stands on May 27th , my 82
birthday! So far? I can do 30 squats and stand in the first 2 minutes. Then
a 2 minute rest, do 20 more in the next 2 minutes! :-) I'll make it as I did
80 sit-ups on the day of my 80th birthday! Piece of cake, just need to think
young and to hell with the aches and pains!

Right now? I'm having the time of my life shooting this new series of
projects with a fine lady writer who organizes everything and we work
together very well. So why think about watching clouds and grass grow? The
single Malt? ;-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)
PS:
Oh yeah I'm hurting a tad this evening, but what the heck! I'll take two
aspirins and check me in the morning! ;-)

Replies: Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com) ([Leica] new photos in the gallery)
Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] new photos in the gallery)
Reply from scoutfinch at chartermi.net (Susan Ryan) ([Leica] new photos in the gallery)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] new photos in the gallery)