Subject: [Leica] Bribes?
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:45:21 -0400

Douglas asks:
"Were bribes to policemen common in communist Poland in the 70s?"
- - - - -
I don't know about Poland, but they were certainly common in Yugoslavia
during the 60's. On a driving trip through Yugoslavia on the way to Greece,
we were stopped at least a half dozen times in our half pint sized Hillman
Imp and accused of miscellaneous traffic violations. These could all be
fixed on the spot by paying a fine directly to the policeman who stopped us.
Fortunately the Yugoslav dinar was so cheap that the total of the fines came
to less than $20 US. At that time a bottle of reasonable Yugoslav wine cost
about 25 cents. A cup of coffee, on the other hand, was $2.00.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Bribes?)