Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 19/4/2011: atheist Copenhagen
From: rcmphoto at yahoo.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:10:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 4/20/11, Howard Ritter <hlritter at bex.net> wrote:

> I think "atheist" is a
> misunderstanding. I've always taken the symbol of
> Darwin-within-the fish-with-legs (which I've often seen here
> in Toledo, Ohio)  to indicate that the displayer
> understands that evolution is no more a subject of doubt
> than (to quote one of my college textbooks) "the existence
> of, say, Toledo", and believes as well that it fits within
> Christian (or Judaeo-Christian) theology.

Swings both ways and probably depends where you are.  In the Bible Belt the
Jesus Fish people tend to the aggressive (theologically and as drivers) and
the Darwin Fish and variants are as much a way of fighting back as a serious
statement of belief.  It's sociological more than theological.

But ever since the John Denver song I've been uncertain about the actual
existence of Toledo....  ;>)

R. Clayton McKee
PhotoJournalist
from somewhere just south of somewhere else...

Replies: Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] Nathan's PAD 19/4/2011: atheist Copenhagen)