Subject: [Leica] Leica Japan stories
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 00:40:28 +0900

W.R, I think I would have done the same as you, just on instinct.

Many Japanese people have been wonderfully warm and kind to me in my
nine years here, but no amount of cultural politeness can mask the
cool, unfriendly types one meets here or anywhere else.  I suppose
your salesman thought he was being funny.  He lost a sale though.

To add a bit of context, in Japan, a Leica store is like a barrel for
shooting fish.  The local customers pay prices higher than anywhere
else in the world, so the salesmen are probably used to foreigners
looking, then asking to handle items they won't buy because they will
buy it cheaper in their home country.  The hired sales staff might not
know their prices are inflated, and mikght just think foreigners are a
waste of their time and sales energy.  Still, no excuse for rudeness!

Cheers,

Peter

Replies: Reply from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] Leica Japan stories)
Reply from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Leica Japan stories)