Subject: [Leica] Leica ownership
From: montoid at earthlink.net (Montie Talbert)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 18:05:40 -0400 (EDT)

Can't beat ya, but I can get close to some of you "old timers" ;-)

In 1969, I was a wet behind the ears 19 year old Navy photog with access
to a vast array of gear to include the standard Leica M4 kit (govt
contracted)
which included Black Paint M4 body, 35 cron, 50 DR, and the old 90 elmarit.
A small percentage of these kits had M4Ms or M4-Mots with the drives.

The truly amazing thing is that I remember seeing an invoice for one of these
kits for $589.00 or there abouts, talk about a quantity discount! Once they
achieved the ripe old age of 5-7 years old, they were turned over to
"Defense Property Disposal" regardless of condition in lots for auction
to the highest bidder, (anyone could go and bid).  It was not unheard of for
someone to win 6/8 kits (depending on lot) for a grand or less.  Granted,
some of these kits were pretty beat up, but still...;-)

Montie

Ted wrote:

>>I find this a very interesting topic, as I never related to the gear in a
similar manner as some of you!

>>My earliest Leica pre-M4's was around 1962-3 when a friend let me play
>>with
his whatever model Leica it was.  It was Leica ... "gee isn't this what
Bresson uses?"  But I didn't get all hully gully over it being a Leica.