Subject: [Leica] OT: Yellow gone gone gone
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:02:54 +0930

> One thing is clear. The correspondent who said that Leica Wetzlar fixed his
> yellow lens for free must have had this phenomenon. If bad balsam were the
> problem, it seems to me that the lens would have had to be completely
> disassembled and the cemented element pair immersed in a solvent until the
> balsam softened to where the elements could be safely separated and
> recemented.

Herb,

To separate cemented doublets or triplets you primarily use heat, not
a solvent.  It would take years, maybe decades, for a solvent to get
into the cement enough to release the elements.

Focal Point Lens can separate and recement with modern, stable cement,
lenses for you, for a remarkably good price.

What exactly is going on with your lens I have no idea, but if you can
fix it with light, great.

Marty

Replies: Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] OT: Yellow gone gone gone)