Subject: [Leica] Computer Help
From: jbmmllug at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:36:02 -0400

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 09:04,  <afirkin at afirkin.com> wrote:
> I KNOW SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A DROBO

Yet another tangent unrelated to poor Tina's problem (I bit my virtual
tongue really hard to keep myself from posting an unhelpfully smug
additional Mac plug), but on this side topic I think it's worth
saying): there seems to be a certain Drobo mania here, and I just want
to make sure all those who are considering a Drobo consider a Netgear
ReadyNAS just as carefully before actually making a purchase and
installing hardware.

Why?  Well, one thing is my personal experience of the reliability of
ReadyNASsen, through a number of years, two generations of ReadyNAS
hardware, failures of disk drives in the array without data loss, and
at least two relatively painless migrations onto newer, bigger disks
with each NAS.

But the other thing is more basic.  A ReadyNAS is fundamentally a NAS
- Network Attached Storage.  This means that the internal operating
system in the ReadyNAS is responsible for the nuts and bolts of making
sure the filesystem on the disks remains uncorrupted, and that
filesystem is to a useful extent insulated by having to be accessed
via network file-sharing protocols from whatever unstable wackiness
may be going on as your client computer gets polluted or crashes.
(Okay, insert your own Windows dig here.)  The only downside I see to
that is that network sharing can be a bit slower than a more
bare-metal drive connection.

http://www.readynas.com/

As I understand it, a Drobo fundamentally acts like a big disk
attached directly to your computer, which your computer formats
directly as some filesystem native to it, and then uses as such (and
potentially corrupts as it goes down in flames).  There's apparently
also a NAS add-on interface for the Drobos which seems kind of like an
afterthought, but... I dunno, I just don't trust the whole Drobo vibe.

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] Computer Help)
Reply from sam.kennard at me.com (Sam Kennard) ([Leica] Computer Help)
Message from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] Computer Help)