Subject: [Leica] IMG: Bunny Heaven
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:16:47 -0400

Trouble in my opinion with monopods is when you want to shift your position
up and down quickly you cant. You have to readjust the monopod. This seems
painfully obvious but its a reason why I don't use them.
Another more to the point is you cant set them up to use them three inches
off the ground. As they don't make 3 inch monopods. But the point is your
vertical options again is limited. That and the gain of a stop or two more
steadiness makes me not have used them all that much this lifetime. Tripods
I love. You can shoot f 10 seconds and be there. With your hand behind your
back. I'm getting a remote release from B&H in the next few weeks.  I see
they go for less then 50 bucks. Wireless I think, for my D700. This will
make it so I'm out and about with my camera on tripod doing some IMO much
more serious work.
But a reason to use a monopod would be the weight of the big fat lens I'd be
wanting to use for extended periods of time. Just  holding it up there.
That's what they're for as far as I can see. And my heaviest lens is not
that heavy. Its a 300mm f4.5 Nikkor my my only lens with a tripod collar.
And if I had to stand somewhere shooting for over an hour I'd opt for a
monopod as I don't have arms like Popeye.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Bunny Heaven)