Subject: [Leica] PESO: Arrivistes
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 09:07:31 -0700

On May 1, 2011, at 8:44 AM, <tedgrant at shaw.ca> <tedgrant at shaw.ca>
wrote:

> Jim Shulman SHOWED:
> Subject: [Leica] PESO: Arrivistes
>

>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/focusit/arrivistes+sm.jpg.html
>
> Hi Jim,
> Man you have to assemble a book of all these strange creatures you
> photograph! ;-)
>
> Sort of like an Elliot Erwitt? .....  "Dog." book collection. :-)
> cheers,
> ted

Sure but...

I am hardly a compulsive advocate for those who are anything but icons of
beauty, or of slenderness.  Still, one has to admit, that photos of people
trying to appear more ugly than they already are, or who weigh 200 lbs more
than "ideal body weight" inherently tend to be either funny, or demeaning,
and sometimes both...

there may just be some push back from people who don't find this funny at
all...
eg here...

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1730150,00.html

I suspect that such individuals will ultimately demand the same sort of
protection from discrimiation that is afforded to other groups based on
race, disability, sexual orientation, gender, and age...

Steve