Subject: [Leica] SQUIRREL & PEANUTS ... Another Backyard Character
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 16:29:25 -0700

Jim Nichols showed:
>> We have several squirrels who take refuge in our one remaining backyard
>> oak, and I can seldom catch them on the ground.  This one knew I was
>> watching him, but, since I was outside the fence, he felt secure for
>> quite a while.
>>
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Squirrel+96.jpg.html <<<<

Hi Jim,
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/leicated/ted+grant/SQUIRREL+_amp_+peanuts_.jpg.html

The secret is peanuts! :-) Buy a bag of bulk peanuts for the cheapest price
at your local grocery store and feed them a few each day. Gradually they'll
"almost pose for you" as soon as they hear the rattle of the peanut bag.  If
you buy unshelled peanuts you can eventually get them to eat right out of
your hand.... HOWEVER!!!!!!

"I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS METHOD!!" They have very sharp teeth and losing a
finger tip isn't cool! :-(

So hand drop the nuts where you've already pre-focused the lens or nearly
so. then you can shoot while they munch at their lunch. If you want them to
move? Just toss a few where you want them to move to. "CLICK!" :-)

I shot this little guy through the sliding door glass to our back deck while
sitting on the floor in the kitchen. He and his mates would come at least
twice most days to feed. Often have a look a third time to see if there was
any feed out for them. This also works fairly well with bird feed if peanuts
aren't available.

Cheers
ted

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] SQUIRREL & PEANUTS ... Another Backyard Character)