Subject: [Leica] PESO: American
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 08:25:45 -0700

Jim Shulman said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] PESO: American

> You're not the first to mention this to me lately.  Actually, I've had
> about four people say something similar, and one professional designer
> volunteer to put the whole thing together.
>
> In the case of Kyle's book, it was the guns that attracted the publisher.
> They knew a hot button--and he got them at the right time as they were
> (slightly) shifting their emphasis from collector books to art.  In my
> case, I don't think that Ben and Jerry's can compete with Smith and
> Wesson.<<<<<<<

Hi Jim,

You maybe right on the guns vs. Ben & Jerry's? However in this case you have
to "show no mercy take no prisoners" and get it in front of the same
publisher and or other publishers if necessary. If at worst he says...
"Sorry not us!"

But before you show him, have a couple, if not a few other publishers lined
up that you can call the minute you walk out of his office if he says ,
"Nope not us!" If you do not have that situation in hand first, you'll come
out discouraged  and down ! And that means you've got to start digging for
publishers all over again while in a down mental state of.... "it's never
going to happen etc!" A couple of other publishers in place on your list and
you're right on their case to have a look.

I believe there's great potential here for a book! First make about ten to a
dozen big prints... 11X17 paper or 13X19, real smashing good ones. Burn
everything on a disc and take both with you. Handing the publisher a half
dozen or so "REAL PRINT PHOTOGRAPHS"  works like magic! Today they're so
accustomed to looking at everything on the screen that when holding a real
print photograph in hand for many, is a whole brand new exercise of
enjoyment of looking at photographs instead of the "same old screen!"

Any questions? The door is open. :-)
cheers,
ted