Subject: [Leica] M8 Repair... Update
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 20:26:10 -0400

Frankly Frank comparing film through  a loupe to a digital file on the flat
screen is tricky and summons up dancing to architecture.  It kind depends on
how much unsharp mask you're applying or gets applied to the image before,
during and after the shot.  One can apply as much as we want and who knows
what's acceptable, fair or normal?  Or even what is is.
Add a 20 unsharp setting you've matched Canon, 30 Nikon, 40 Zeiss, 50
Schneider and 60 Leica. Or make up your own number its all up for grabs.
It also depends on which loupe  you're using and ones inclination to like
what one sees with a loupe more than what one see's on their computer
screen.
One can make the best 11x17 print they can from their inkjet and compare it
to a 11x14 darkroom print from film and like one more than the other but it
kind of feels like a comparison of printing processes and how good is your
scanner?
But one can look on the internet. Google image for example and see all the
best shooters their output and on their galleries go back to their work in
the 90's and see if that stuff looks sharper. It doesn't. It looks the same.
I have boxes and boxes of prints. The  8.5x11 & 11x17 prints don't look less
sharp then the 8x10 and 11x14 prints.  And according to the specs they
should. The injects often look sharper. Probalby the result of over
sharpening. But who the hell knows? I've heard of no top photographer switch
back to film after shooting digital because his or her prints were soft.

Mark

Mark William Rabiner