Subject: [Leica] Wm Eggleston on the Today Show
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 14:53:59 -0600

I've probably mentioned it here before, but Eggleston and I were close
friends when I lived in Memphis in the sixties.  I was using his darkroom
for a while and we hung out frequently at his place.  Here's a portrait I
took of him in 1968:
http://pswango.smugmug.com/popular/1/36522470_NTNLc#36522470_NTNLc

Here's Eggleston's shot of me from around the same period:
https://picasaweb.google.com/paswango/RecentUploads#5048114776621034594

And here's one of both of us by a mutual friend:
https://picasaweb.google.com/paswango/RecentUploads#5182522366510390402

I was also able to attend the opening of his infamous MoMA show in 1976 and
had a chance to meet Szarkowski there.  Actually, he walked over and
introduced himself and we had a brief but pleasant chat.  I think he was
curious about what kind of friends Bill had.

Still, it doesn't bother me at all when people express their dislike for his
work -- I love it, myself, but I can see why others may not.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE

Replies: Reply from zoeica at mac.com (Chris Williams) ([Leica] Wm Eggleston on the Today Show)