Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 29/5/2011: under the table
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 07:20:06 +1000

Nope....well more precisely..... maybe ;-)
In current version, starting from your Raw file, if you export a version as
JPG there is an option for output sharpening
Only if you tick the box, you get the options screen, matte and glossy paper
and amount low, standard, high.

But sharpening is not a debate here really, just expressed preferences. Ten
people might look at Nathan's cat and have 12 opinions.  The Nathan
Heisenberg cat sharpening uncertainty principle. Mine is that the right
output sharpening would improve that particular JPG at that particular
resolution for this particular purpose. Different output sharpening would
work better if it was to be printed large on fine art paper for a gallery.
Another amount might be appropriate if this was a portrait for the cat's
graduation photo or the cover of Cat Retirement Village newsletter. All of
that notwithstanding any changes by the gallery software, resizing to
repurpose and even what kind of monitor you are looking with and how it is
set up.

Cheers
Geoff

*Life's not black and white, except at both ends*
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman