Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Gathering at Qarabagh, Afghanistan
From: hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson)
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 06:56:35 +0430

Thank you all for your encouraging comments.  Yes, a chance like this
is rare.  It would be so interesting to interview these men ......
from one of them, called "The Commander", I gathered he was very much
involved in the fight against the Russians, but the language barrier
prevented me from getting any details, one can only guess at what
others might have done in their lives.  Perhaps a future project, with
a tape recorder.

As to the question, asked of many, about women ....... no, I saw no
women, they are very strict about the separation ........ as Tina
says, the women of the house were probably working on cooking and
cleaning, they were on a separate floor, behind closed doors.

I must say the food was very good, what I liked best was liver,
braised in chunks with onion.  You take the bread and pick up the
chunk, along with gravy, which invariably runs down your fingers, and
pop it in your mouth.  Quite delicious.  The yoghurt is fresh, not
pasteurized, just wonderful.  Staple is rice cooked with meats,
raisins, and carrot slices, the fat from the meat melding with the
rice during cooking, again delicious.  There was no alcohol.

We are now back to normal, in Kabul, but I hear there is a BBQ being
organized, so more to follow.

Best

Hugh

On 5-Jun-11, at 1:33 AM, Tina Manley wrote:

> Wonderful photos that depict the culture of the men of Afghanistan,
> much
> like I remember Iran, Jordan and Iraq.  I assume the women are in the
> kitchen cooking and cleaning.

"Pakistan, Afghanistan & South Asia"

hewthompson at mac.com

Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMGS: Gathering at Qarabagh, Afghanistan)