Subject: [Leica] Happy Motors Used Cars
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 04:30:19 -0400

Jayanand,

I know what you mean, I have seen a lot of photographs done in poor parts of
India's big cities, and they always seem to be very colorful, lively places,
despite the poverty. In the United States (not just Ft. Wayne), poor urban
areas are very bleak, often violent, places. The Happy Motors picture was
done in an industrial area near one of the city's poorest neighborhoods, an
area that averages 4-5 shootings a week and a murder every 10 days.

Most of the city is not that bad, but even the safer areas of town are
becoming bleak and depressing places as more and more people lose their
homes and middle class neighborhoods are seeing more and more empty houses.
Unemployment here is about 25% now. For university graduates it is almost
80%, according to the local newspaper. The jobs that do exist here are all
just manual labor jobs, very few need or want educated people.

Indiana University and Purdue University are both state-supported
universities here in Indiana, and are among the best in the country. People
come from all over the world to study here, in a state where virtually none
of the graduates of these great universities are wanted by employers. The
state's governor has complained that the state is paying to educate tens of
thousands of students who will immediately leave the state with that
education because no one will hire them here. Indiana residents get to
attend state-supported universities at half-tuition; the state government
pays the rest....so the taxpayer here is basically paying to educate workers
for other states, since most of the grads leave Indiana to find jobs!

Of course, the governor merely complained, he didn't actually DO anything
about the problem.

I have a bachelor's degree from IU, and will have my masters degree next
year. I have two classes left before I am finished with it. I left Indiana
after earning my bachelors because no one would hire me, and I will leave
again as soon as I am able. Damned shame; Indiana wouldn't be such a bad
place to live if there were jobs paying living wages to men like me. The
climate is nice, the cost of living very low, and this is my hometown. None
of that means a thing if I am homeless and starving, like I was before I
left the first time.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography