Subject: [Leica] BLOG: How Small is it? The MS Optical 35/3.5 Perar
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:47:21 +0100 (BST)

Is the Mk2 different in any way to the Mk 1 ?
I think the quote from Dirk's site is marketing speak. AFAIK the only reason
the
rear group of a Tessar has a cemented doublet is to achieve a refractive
characteristic not available in a single glass (and the Leitz anastigmat was
cemented triplet for the same reason). It is therefore really the same as a
triplet and could be made with 3 elements as soon as the suitable optical
glass
becomes available. That is perhaps what Miyazaki has done. As to tantalum
glass
having "superior refractive qualities" surely this is absurd? Optical
glasses
all have different refractive and dispersion qualities so some are suitable
for
some applications and others for others. Absolute superiority is a difficult
concept to convince me of in this context.
Anyway I have had a Mk 1 since just before Christmas. Apart from quite
extreme
vignetting wider open than f5.6 it is satisfactory and amusingly tiny. I use
mine more on a M8.2 since the vignetting is less intrusive. The coding is so
imprecisely done on mine it does not register as being coded.

FWIW

FD