Subject: [Leica] New Leica M Stuff
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:14:38 -0700

Mark, it has been rumored for months that the new camera will not have any
new tech, regardless how much it would make sense or how much wishful
thinking there was.

I am afraid that Leica is going back to to the "make special edition and
milk the collector's market" mindset.

Being wildly successful with the M9 is not a surprise - whatnot with all the
pent up demand from people just waiting for years to use their Leica lens.
The biggest surprise with the M9 was the full frame sensor, and it was as
much as a surprise as it was BECAUSE Leica had been saying it could not be
done with the current technology - well, the current technology caught up
and it could then be done. In any case, there are many areas where Leica can
innovate and remain true to its rangefinder DNA, but Leica needs to act.

However, I suspect that this will end up just being another peak in Leica's
history. They can continue to be successful, but they need to innovate in
the high end and get into the "mass market" with a M8.3. But Herr Kaufmann
and Herr Daniels can do no wrong right at this moment and Geoff said that
they thought something like an M8.3 is braindead. We shall see in 3 years
that how competitive the M10 will be.