Subject: [Leica] even more important news on the digital front
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:29:38 -0400

Nathan wrote:

>>Speaking of Fuji, I handled Michiel's X100 this weekend and saw output
from it--very impressive indeed. It is not a Leica M, since the lens is
fixed, but it is very much a digital Konica Hexar: small size, silent,
high-quality 2/35mm lens (equivalent). Michiel told me that highly
usable images are obtained at ISO 3200, which means that it surpasses
the current M cameras in what is a very important performance parameters
for some of us.<<

I've had an X100 for about 10 days now. Most of the early reviews sum it
up. Image quality is fantastic. The firmware could use some work.

I'm guessing that anyone who likes using an M with 35/2 is probably
going to like using an X100. You can shoot at 3200 and Lightroom/PS your
images to mimic Tri-X. Perhaps even Plus-X at 100. Dial down to 200 and
you're getting into Tech Pan range. Pretty amazing. The main dilemma, in
my mind, is whether or not someone can live with a fixed lens.

What caught me off guard when I recently traveled with the X100 is how
people kept asking, "is that one of those old cameras?" The window of
the optical finder makes it look very much like an M. People may not
know what an M is, but apparently a lot still recognize the classic
look. (I was asked the question more often than when I actually do carry
an M, oddly enough).

Dave