Subject: [Leica] M lens 21mm F2.8 pre ASPH
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:01:23 -0500

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Sonny Carter <sonc.hegr at gmail.com> wrote:

> The whole sentence is:
>
> "*Generally speaking: this lens is a commendable performer and a slight
> improvement on the SA 34*. It does not bear the Leica badge with full
> honour."

This thread reminds me of a time when I first came on the LUG.  I got
involved in a harangue on how to meter a black cat.

I maintained you could meter a black cat with the M6 and get a decent shot,
half the LUG argued with me.

Of course, even after I posted a picture of my black cat, people continued
to tell me it couldn't be done.

Swanny, lenses give different looks, and sometimes different samples of the
same lens design will seem different.

I have a CV 15 mm M mount that I think looks very different from the LTM
one.  Supposed to be the same formula.

I shoot lots of pictures, lots more than you ever see here.

When I get a new lens, I go out and shoot with it exclusively with it for
several weeks until I understand what it can bring to my photography.

The best of them, the most interesting, in my opinion, I post.  The others,
no one sees.

You bought a new M9.   I would tell you that possibly the 21mm is too wide
for daily use on a full frame.   It was when I was shooting film.

 I shoot mostly M8, but I shot a few frames with the 21 on my M5 this week,
and I thought the 21 was a bit too wide for general use.

Maybe you can get a CV 21 and try it out before you spring for any of the
Leica glass.

--
Regards,

Sonny