Subject: [Leica] M lens 21mm F2.8 pre ASPH
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:14:27 -0400

Yep! Plenty of mediums it seems and from Leica glass of days gone by even a
few lows for Leica glass ultra wides of several Leica generations past. Its
known as the Leica "fingerprint" and may even be whets behind the Leica
"glow".  PDF's are such a more efficient way of research than print on
paper!
As far the glass offering available to use now in this decade using ASPH
technology and other computer technology and coatings you're getting wide
open performance in various degree's of "high" from Leica.  And I'd suspect
also Cosina in its various incarnations. probably other companies.
Especially in a slower lens than f 2.8 which would be an even more
competitive price than 1000 dollars or certainly close.

All these are new B&H prices:
the Super Wide Angle 21mm f/4.5 C Biogon T* ZM Manual is just over a grand
and that's a new lens: $1,117
The CV Color-Skopar 21mm f/4.0 P Pancake Lens $419.00
Would proably shoot loop de loops around the M-21 as Erwin calls it.
Zeiss Super Wide Angle 21mm f/2.8 Biogon T* ZM Price: $1,340.00 wait for
that extra paycheck to come in.
CV Voigtl?nder Color-Skopar 21mm f/4.0 Len $399
Super Wide Angle 21mm f/2.8 Biogon T* ZM Price:$1,340.00

And the top of my list would be the Leica Super-Elmar-M 1:3.4/21mm ASPH Lens
For three grand. Which means it would take me a year to get it.

The so called pre ASPH 21 from Leica made in 1980 for 1000 bucks strikes me
as one of the worse deals today in photography. A real great way to throw
money out the window in terms of use goes. But it does say "Leica" on it so
its proably viable on the auction sites. Which is really what this whole
thing is all about.

Mark William Rabiner