Subject: [Leica] Friday flowers of the season
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 21:02:23 -0700

My first couple of years of high school were in a private high school
in New York City. I became good friends with a chap who in later life
became the head of the Electrical Engineering Department at MIT.

Peter and I decided we wanted to make some home-made gunpowder and
set it off underground, that is dig a hole, put the powder in the
bottom, refill the hole, retreat a safe distance and set it off. This
in Central Park. We decided that an ancient radio transmitter (spark
transmitter) that the school had would provide ignition for the
powder. We went to the science teacher and explained why we wanted to
borrow it. He was very permissive, just said that if we were
questioned, we should say that we were from the ...school (a
different school from ours) and to say that we were "measuring earth
currents".

So after raiding a couple of drug stores for the components, we mixed
up some black powder, dug a hole, inserted the powder and this heavy
cable with the  leads at the end set in a spark gap, and refilled the
hole with dirt and rocks. We retreated behind a tree and pushed the
button on the transmitter. There was a satisfying eruption a few feet
in height of dirt and rocks, and then smoke slowly rose out of the
site. Just at that moment, up rode a mounted policeman who asked what
we were doing. "Oh," we said, "we're from the ...school and we're
measuring earth current." "I see," he said, and rode off.

Herb

--
Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org