Subject: [Leica] Down with Bambi. NOW: GO BAMBI GO!!!!!! ;-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:06:34 -0700

Doug Herr OFFERED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Down with Bambi

> Dr. Ted Grant wrote:
>
>>DEER IN YOUR GARDEN?
>> Go Bambi go! :-)
>
> Just think about the photo ops when the deer attract a mountain lion like
> in my mom's back yard a few miles east of Oakland in the bay area ;)
> Doug Herr

Hi Doug,
Well we on Vancouver Island have had many sightings of Black bears,
grizzlies and a few Cougars this early part of the year near or in the city.
It is attributed to the weather and lack of forest feeding growth these
animals usually munch on. In most cases, other than the deer, the animal is
trapped and taken as far away as possible into the deep forest and let lose.

Others unfortunately get shot by Wardens, however only if there isn't any
other way of handling the situation. Quite often they're tranquilized then
loaded to truck and off they go! We use big bear traps, bait them with feed
of some sort. When the animal enters, a big door clangs shut keeping them
inside. And it's a free ride back to the far off country side. Hopefully
never to return to "Big City Life!" :-)

We have had visitors with children and some deer come sauntering into the
garden and the visiting children are blown away with the reality of it.
Instead of seeing them in the zoo or on TV. Wonderful to watch the kids
re-acting. :-)

I at one time would get absolutely furious about them eating off a couple
hundred dollars of newly planted flowers or sun flowers coming up
beautifully about two feet high, only to come out one morning to find the
bud and about a foot of the stock gone! End of sun flower season! :-( A rant
ensued! Finally I gave up and figured if you can't beat the ...! Join them
and figure out how to move them along to the neighbours yard or farther
along the street. :-)

Hence my reading about deer and the type of flowers they rarely eat. And
discussion with the local flower growing companies for advice! Now better
use of false flowers that make a major difference.

By the same token where would you rather live? In a condo right in the heart
of the noise blown city? Where the only "wild life" you encounter are the
drunks and druggies or whatever other low life? Or sort of on the out skirts
of town where once in awhile some of the critter beauties of Mother Nature
quietly saunter through your yard, stop for a bite here and there and move
on?

I need not tell you my preference! :-)

cheers,
ted