Subject: [Leica] Luis and Steve
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 10:18:25 +0200

First of all, Greece has by far the highest debt, 160% of GDP or so, about
twice as much as the US. Secondly, the economy is backwards, dysfunctional
(basically, only public sector employees pay taxes, the rest cheat and get
away with it, at least until now). Spain has some world-class companies,
like Zara, Santander (yes, I know it is a bank, but banks are still needed),
Telefonica, bits of Airbus, high-speed train expertise, good medical
research etc. Greece has none of those things, just some ruins and ouzo. In
the old days it could compete on costs by devaluing its  currency, the
drachma, from time to time, but that option is not open to it inside the
Euro zone.

Finally, Greek politicians are simply crooks. They actually falsified
national accounts--think Enron on a country scale.

Aside from its geographic location, I have a hard time thinking of Greece as
a proper European country. They had their glory days, but that was about
2500 years ago.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman