Subject: [Leica] The IIIF still works
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 22:39:38 -0400

Depends on in which interesting way you mean "as good" and "compares well".
If it means you can take a picture of a tree and you can still tell its a
tree  but it looks quaint in some way you cant quite put your fingers one
then fine. In real terms like resolution, acutance and contrast they are of
course worlds apart.
What every old glass has is a distinctive artsy fingerprint usually a mark
of its defects more than a distinctive product of something they may have
had going then they don't have now.
Lets not deny the realities of the progress optical craftsman have brought
us.

Mark William Rabiner