Subject: [Leica] IMG: Just for Rabs
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:09:32 -0400

My default is 1200 pixels across. Normally a 800 x 1200 image is what I turn
out. This make for many thousands of pix on the Lug Gallery output structure
Brian has set up for us. If you use any compression at all and I use 10 out
of 11 your files are under 1000 k sometimes 500k. Half a mg. black gold.
Texas tea....
And sure I can crop like the dickens to get this and often do.
The problem is it gets me thinking that this is a serious file. And in most
ways its not really cutting it. Its kind of  like a cheating file.
One tip off that that's what it is is when I put my matt rag paper into my
Epson 3800  in I can get a print at 240 pixels per inch of a  3.3 x 5 "
variety from those specs.
And in the past I certainly held my camera up to my  face not envisioning
what a   3.3 x 5 print was gonna look like coming from it. Or I'd use 1/20th
of a second shudder speeds all the time.
My portfolio now is a box of 5x7's so that leaves me a bit short.
All those images would have to be redone. Unless my file size settings
existed in a separate layer which I don't think they have yet.

Photography is hard but macro photography is ten times harder.
Whatever we did at 8 feet away needs to be ten times better than what we do
8 inches away.
3x5 prints  though don't really strain us output wise do they?
A screen shot?
That's a snapshot with a half inch border! (4x6)
It all could be done with a credit card cameras at those output specs and no
one would no the difference. We could claim it was a Linhof and laugh.

Mark William Rabiner

By the way I just got a pack of 50 sheets of 4x6 paper for my first new
portfolio in a few years. And my first anything in that size which I
previously hated as they are (snapshots). The lowest common denominator and
what one would think in the past to be non serious work.
However...
If I want files to print 4x6 borderless they would have to be at 240 ppi
960 x 1440 pixels
Lucky I have no intention of going borderless and my existing 1200 pixel
.psd files might by huge coincidence might work out fine.
Unless there are no coincidences.

In the real world we didn't get to shoot with our Leica ms with maybe slow
film and crop out the middle 10 percent and call it a picture. That didn't
cut it all that offen. I think people do that now with digital as the
fraction of a screen shot is so very non taxing.  Like an image in a web
layout. I think we must disenthrall ourselves and then we shall save our
country.