Subject: [Leica] making their move
From: lam.joev at gmail.com (Joseph V. Lam)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 01:48:14 -0400

Hi Ted,

It was really encouraging when I read your writing regarding "Forget your
age and keep clicking, keep exercising" even your topic had nothing to do
with Leica. My brother-in-law (88 years old) just passed away two days ago
due to complication like diabetes and pneumonia and his funeral will be on
next Tuesday. And I have another brother-in-law in Montreal just 3 years
younger. He does not want to attend his funeral, probably he thinks he is
next one in line and they are good friends too. Is it normal for older folks
generally not attending funeral probably due to fear. I don't know how we
can overcome the fear of death as we are getting older, may be religious
people are better than those without religion, I mean solid religious like
Christian, not the Sunday worshipper. This brother-in-law (88 years old one)
was Leica guys when he was younger, then he traded his Leica with three
lenses for Hasselblad, I know he had his Hassel in his home. So I knew Leica
some 40 years now, not until last April I bought the M8 and two lenses and I
just retired this March and I enjoyed the Leica so much and took so many
nice pictures with it. I plan to get the M9 hopefully next year and I wonder
with God's permission he would allow me to enjoy my future M9 for a long
time.

By the way, you make fantastic pictures. How do you shoot people on the
street? I am kind of nervous pointing camera at people, so I pre-focus
(guessing) the distance and shoot at waist level and avoid eye contact. Many
times people not at the position I want in the picture or hand-shaken. What
is the trick to get a sharp picture?

Have a good day,

Joseph Lam