Subject: [Leica] A good review of the S2 in a Safari
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 17:34:31 -0500

On Jul 26, 2011, at 5:13 PM, wildlightphoto at earthlink.net wrote:

> Read, absorb, but don't copy.  Develop your own technique, but
> whatever it is stay outside the box.

I also like his

"?the Encyclopedia Syndrome.  What I mean by this is that they shoot the
same pictures  ?seen in books for many decades over and over again. I think
you know what I mean?  They usually have no compelling message and mediocre
lighting. They are the perfect pictures for an encyclopedia? but from an
artistic photographic perspective the images are boring and have little
value.

On the other hand, if your intent is to produce good photographs, I can
think of few things that are more boring or more overdone that these kinds
of images.

My first suggestion is to resist and avoid the Encyclopedia Syndrome. Think,
look and figure out what you are trying to express before you shoot."

whether "safari," flowers, street or any other subject -
He calls for reaching out for something we can truly call our own.
Most difficult task at hand.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com