Subject: [Leica] Steinbeck and Lange
From: alal at poly.edu (A. Lal)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:32:50 -0400

This topic has come up before, IIRC. The middle-class squeeze started early
in the Reagan years, shortly after  the middle-class committed Hara-kiri by
voting in Reagan and his ilk, against its own self-interests. The children
and grand-children of those voters are the ones who will feel the full
impact of the current trend. This squeeze has continued unabated ever since,
even the Democrats, Clinton and Obama, not have made any serious efforts to
reverse the trend,  there's no money - campaign donations while in office,
and cushy speaking engagements and or directorships after - to be made by
standing up for the middle class.

In light of recent political developments I don't see the orchestrated
decline of the middle class ending until a good chunk -if not all - of the
New Deal has been reversed. The economic data are grim. Since the 1970s the
US economy has grown at a real rate of two point three percent, give or take
a fraction. Productivity too has improved significantly. Yet median wages
have not grown at anything like the rate of growth of the economy or
productivity. Data indicates that for those making under 70k per annum real
wages have actually stagnated. Clearly the middle class has not received its
share of the wealth created by economic growth.  So where has the wealth
created by this economic growth gone? Up the food chain, that's where.
Clearly, we are no longer living in an economy where benefits of growth
trickle-down;  rather we are living in an economy where economic gains gush
up to the already well to do. Social policies undercutting the poor and the
middle class have made the pain only worse.

Here are some interesting graphs:

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/06/speedup-americans-working-harder-charts

a few minutes on the web will produce dozens more, all showing the same
trends.

One can go on and on, but strictly speaking this ought to be discussed on
the Lug Forum. It has always puzzled me why so many members of this list are
not on the LUG Forum.

Regards,
Akhil