Subject: [Leica] IMGs: amazing historical photographs - Bomber Crash
From: kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 10:56:03 -0400

On Jul 30, 2011, at 10:20 AM, Alan Magayne-Roshak wrote:

>  I just thought I'd share some of the interesting pictures that are in my
> father's collection as the events recede in time.

These are important, for a lot of reasons.  The series now appearing on The
Atlantic site, yours, and others, are essential parts of preserving our
shared memories.

I am deeply saddened by the loss, in our family, of ALL the photos my father
took, from 1939 to 1945, during his service in the Navy?.North Atlantic
convoy duty, invasion of North Africa, Sicily, Guadalcanal, Normandy?

My Mother, in a difficult time after my Father's death, threw away all the
photos AND the negatives, which I had hoped to scan.  There were hundreds
and hundreds of photos and all the negatives.  (He never threw anything
away.)

My children had seen some of the photos when they were younger and were very
eager to have them scanned for family records.  I think they have been more
disappointed than I.

My oldest daughter, in particular, when it dawned on her that her
grandfather had served for virtually the entire war in major theaters, was
devastated.

He used a Zeiss folder, don't know which model, and the negatives were
pristine, many of them still in the original cellophane envelopes.

His interest in photography was rekindled later, after I gave him his first
SLR, a Minolta SRT 101.  He became the designated family photographer for
all our functions, and I DO HAVE all the slides!

Again, my thanks for sharing these with us.  They ARE important!

Ken
Kenneth Frazier
kennybod at me.com
kennybod at mac.com