Subject: [Leica] IMGs: amazing historical photographs
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:01:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 Kenneth Frazier <kennybod at mac.com>wrote:

>I am deeply saddened by the loss, in our family, of ALL the photos my
>father took, from 1939 to 1945, during his service in the >Navy?.North
>Atlantic convoy duty, invasion of North Africa, Sicily, Guadalcanal,
>Normandy?

That is sad.

>He used a Zeiss folder, don't know which model, and the negatives were
>pristine, many of them still in the original cellophane envelopes.

I'm lucky.  Not only do I have my father's negatives and many prints in
albums, but his cameras too.  The 127 Foth Derby with focal plane shutter is
the first camera I remember using; from time to time I still take pictures
with his most-used camera, a Voigtlander Bergheil 6x9 with 10.5 cm f/4.5
Heliar, Suydam 120 rollfilm back and Kalart Speed Flash; and until the
demise of Kodachrome, I kept the Stereo Realist active.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
amr3 at uwm.edu