Subject: [Leica] Not entirely OT: Holocaust Museum exhibit (DC)
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 19:12:48 -0400

Being tourists for a few days in Washington, DC, where the slogan on the
standard-issue vehicular license plate reads TAXATION WITHOUT
REPRESENTATION?refreshingly nervy move on the part of a governmental
department.

We paid a visit to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, part of the
Smithsonian, which has a special exhibit on the propaganda program of the
Nazis (the real ones, not the modern malcontent wannabes). Not entirely OT,
as photographic images (static and motion-picture) played an important role
in carrying a message and creating a deceptive illusion about Jews and other
undesirables and "enemies of the German State". What struck me this time is
the echoes of the same techniques being heard ever more loudly in our
American political discourse, and oddly in both xenophobic and internecine
disputations.

http://www.ushmm.org/propaganda/

Well done, fascinating, and chilling?genius put to evil ends. If you're
within a day's drive, I highly recommend spending a few hours there.

?howard

Message from michiel.fokkema at gmail.com (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] Nathan's PAD 31/7/2011: In the footsteps of Jim Shulman)