Subject: [Leica] IMG: More pretty horses
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:48:18 -0400

More photographs of horses. A followup on the Finger Lakes races.

During our visit to my niece's tiny horse farm in Fairport, NY, my wife and
I were asked to drive my niece, Margaret, to a training session for her two
show horses. She had had a leg operation the previous week and was
restricted to a walker for the remainder of the summer. Margaret, owns two
show horses, a seven year old, Regally Blonde (Regal for short), and a three
year old, Torino. Torino was the horse I photographed in "Two Beauties."

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Two+beauties.JPG.html>

While race horses start running at the age of three, show horses require
much more training and usually reach their peak performance at eight or
nine. Regally Blonde had been a race horse but she had a mind of her own
and, to the despair of her trainer and jockey, didn't always want to run.
But she enjoyed showing off and jumping. She is also a real beauty, a horsy
10. My niece decided to have her trained to show in jumps, steeple chases,
and dressage. She took to it like a horse to oats. It is her true calling.
Here is a picture of Regal running on grass:

<
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Show_horse_training/Regal+loves+running+on+grass.JPG.html

Gail is Regal's rider in show events. She is a big girl for a show rider but
an excellent horsewoman.

<
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Show_horse_training/Portrait+of+Gail.JPG.html

Regal and Gail in a training session:

<
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Show_horse_training/Regal+and+Gail+2.JPG.html

On this hot afternoon Regal's saddle blanket started to itch and she decided
to roll to scratch her back. Gail handled it well. Remember a horse weighs
almost as much as a small car and you don't want it rolling on top of you.

<
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Show_horse_training/Regal+rolls.JPG.html

Anyway, to shorten a long story, in the actual competition, Regal jumped
superbly and won her event.

<
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Show_horse_training/Regal+jumps+to+win.jpg.html

Torino, their younger horse, is just at the beginning of her training. Here
is Jenny, Torino's rider, getting coaching from a pro.

<
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Show_horse_training/Show+training.JPG.html

A formal portrait of Torino and Jenny. The sort of thing a proud horse owner
would hang over the fireplace.

<
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Show_horse_training/Torino+and+Jenny2.JPG.html

And for comic relief, the trainer's daughter riding her personal painted
pony, trying to emulate the bigger girls.

<
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Show_horse_training/Painted+pony.JPG.html

Finally, a picture of Jennifer, the trainer and part owner of Torino, my
niece Margaret, still in a cast, and my wife, also Margaret. My wife feels
that it should be titled "Witches of Macbeth on a Summer Outing."

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Show_horse_training/Trainer_+neice_+wife.JPG.html

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMG: More pretty horses)